So as I was saying..
So I haven't blogged for quite a while, not about anything coherent or sensible anyway... I mentioned a while ago that I had changed my mind about leaving TUC. Well, I kind of changed my mind again over the course of a few months... I have become absolutely sick of the fact that the admin team are still carrying out their Machiavellian schemes, including the complete remodelling of the lobby which is a bit of a long story. Essentially, an anonymous donor gave the church a substantial sum of money specifically to have the lobby remodelled. Frankly, it doesn't need doing, well unless you count the fact that we could do with another loo. But that isn't what has me annoyed - it's the fact that I firmly believe that the "Admin" should not arbitrarily be accepting money on our behalf for fatuous remodelling. It is my understanding that at no point was this even raised for discussion at council, it was just announced... Now I could be wrong, but surely it is their responsibility to say to the donor "Well, you know, it's awfully nice of you to offer but actually, to be honest we don't need the money for that... BUT... we could really use it for this...." The same could be said for the extension of the dais at the front of the sanctuary; the Austrian Ballet in Tokyo, whose directors happen to go to TUC donated the cash for that to "facilitate the performance of stuff" but like, we don't need that doing and we DO need the balcony remodelling so that the choir don't have to turn sideways to watch Shiozawa san and thus sing into the organ rather than into the sanctuary... perhaps I'm biased... I really can't tell but a little voice deep inside me suspiciously thinks that if the Austrian Ballet in Tokyo were not planning to dance on it - they would not be donating the money for it... although apparently, they have said that we (TUC) are under no obligation to have them dance on it... Whatever... So I'm annoyed about that, I'm still boiling about all the Koinonia business and Pastor Barry's lack of involvement, despite the fact that Wally told him all about it while I was in Singapore. I was also kind of sick of being Kumiko's stunt double, I mean I do get it, you know, the whole cultural thing... seniority counts, blah blah blah... but all I want to do is sing dammit... Which is why, when presented with the opportunity to do just that, I am having the dilemma I mentioned before because I so want to tell TUC to shove it and refuse to sing for them or infact, do anything for them, but I want to sing that piece, I really do... On the other hand, I have been toying with the idea of joining the Anglican church - it's a tough decision, I put together a list of pros and cons... In no particular order they are...
St Albans - Good Points.
It's on my train line and therefore only one train.
The building is nice.
They have a real pipe organ.
Communion is at the altar rail.
The liturgy is reasonably traditional.
Sunday School is during the service so kids aren't in the service.
The sermon I heard was solid, I liked his delivery and he had a good point.
Less Good Points.
It is a good 15 minute walk from the station.
Pews are not very comfortable.
The worship I was part of was fairly joyless, I haven't heard the choir yet but I have heard their resident diva.
If I am going to be anybody's stunt double, at least Kumiko is a very good singer... St Alban's resident diva is not.
Some annoying kids don't go to Sunday school.
They have modernised the liturgy slightly so some of the words are naff.
I don't know if that sermon was representative.
TUC - Good Points
Choir.
Mary-of-the-uncommonly-good-sense.
Nancy, my surrogate Mum.
Wally.
Jean-who-Prays-with-a-capital-P
It's 2 minutes from the station.
Being Not Kumiko's stunt double for just one day.
Less Good Points
It's an hour away on two or three trains depending on which way I go.
Pastor Barry's sermons are good but they are too long and I can't concentrate.
Sunday school is not during the service and most parents don't discipline their kids, I can't stand that.
Admin have highly questionable principles.
The man to whom I am no longer allowed to refer as Boy Wonder because Sunsook doesn't like it and I suspect Mary-of-the-uncommonly-good-sense doesn't either...
Being Kumiko's stunt double.
I tell you, I never thought it would be such a tough decision... I feel so uncomfortable about the fact that I only want to stay at TUC because I so desperately want to sing that song and if I am completely honest, it doesn't have much to do with God either... It's not like I won't miss my friends but on the other hand it's not like I will never see them again, either... When did my ego get so big...?
St Albans - Good Points.
It's on my train line and therefore only one train.
The building is nice.
They have a real pipe organ.
Communion is at the altar rail.
The liturgy is reasonably traditional.
Sunday School is during the service so kids aren't in the service.
The sermon I heard was solid, I liked his delivery and he had a good point.
Less Good Points.
It is a good 15 minute walk from the station.
Pews are not very comfortable.
The worship I was part of was fairly joyless, I haven't heard the choir yet but I have heard their resident diva.
If I am going to be anybody's stunt double, at least Kumiko is a very good singer... St Alban's resident diva is not.
Some annoying kids don't go to Sunday school.
They have modernised the liturgy slightly so some of the words are naff.
I don't know if that sermon was representative.
TUC - Good Points
Choir.
Mary-of-the-uncommonly-good-sense.
Nancy, my surrogate Mum.
Wally.
Jean-who-Prays-with-a-capital-P
It's 2 minutes from the station.
Being Not Kumiko's stunt double for just one day.
Less Good Points
It's an hour away on two or three trains depending on which way I go.
Pastor Barry's sermons are good but they are too long and I can't concentrate.
Sunday school is not during the service and most parents don't discipline their kids, I can't stand that.
Admin have highly questionable principles.
The man to whom I am no longer allowed to refer as Boy Wonder because Sunsook doesn't like it and I suspect Mary-of-the-uncommonly-good-sense doesn't either...
Being Kumiko's stunt double.
I tell you, I never thought it would be such a tough decision... I feel so uncomfortable about the fact that I only want to stay at TUC because I so desperately want to sing that song and if I am completely honest, it doesn't have much to do with God either... It's not like I won't miss my friends but on the other hand it's not like I will never see them again, either... When did my ego get so big...?
Labels: TUC


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home