The Big Old Tokyo Hurrah

Life in the city from a small town perspective...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cardiff, United Kingdom

Bought a house in a village in South Wales, have a reasonably nice view of tree-covered mountains all around. Still haven't found a better job... maybe next year...

Monday, December 25, 2006

All bets are off.

OK, so everyone who had money on how long it would take me to change my mind about leaving TUC, can start counting their winnings... or their losses...

To what do we owe this about face I hear you ask? Well, two things; firstly a thorough telling off from Sunsook. Actually, to be entirely fair, she hasn't told me off yet, I am waiting for an email as she hadn't time to tell me what she wanted to after she had read the Tokyo Hurrah. She and Bill are leaving for Singapore this week, very gutting, I will really miss them, but hurrah - new holiday destination!! She told me that she would email me and that what she had to say would be "in love". This is "Christianese" for starting your sentence with "No offense, but..." in other words, you almost certainly won't like like it and will definitely take offence. Sunsook hasn't had a mention on the Hurrah yet, but she is another woman who is holy with a capital H and is also of uncommonly good sense. I adore Sunsook, she has a habit of telling it exactly how it is with no holds barred, I think she is possibly the most direct person I have ever met. So when Sunsook tells me that she has a lot to say to me but it will be "in love" - I absolutely know that I am in for a royal telling off. When so many people you respect tell you something, you can only arrive at one of two conclusions really; either they are all possessed by the devil, or (and this is the one I really didn't like) they are all right...
Then, I received two gifts I wasn't expecting; one of which was a Mary Quant cosmetic pouch with a matching mirror, so now I am in possession of two of them, both given to me by Japanese ladies old enough to be my Gran; very sweet but I wonder if they are trying to tell me something... that I should cover my unfortunate countenance with more make-up perhaps...? Oh well, I should be glad they didn't give me perfume or bath salts...!!
The second was a book. A few weeks ago, I was having lunch with Mary-of-the-uncommonly-good-sense, and for some reason, the subject of Dr Seuss came up, I said I had never read any since my mother thought it wasn't educational and wouldn't let me read his books. Anyway, aside from the fact that it was inordinately amusing, Mary's gift made me realise what has been glaring me in the face for the last few weeks. There are people at TUC who listen, more importantly, there are people at TUC who care about me (more fool them!) and I have spent nearly four years at that church building friendships - giving that up would be more than stupid. Then of course, there is the fact that if I leave TUC, the Other Side will have won, and we can't have that, can we? Plus, We studied a poem in 5th form, the exact wording of which I forget, but the essence has stayed with me, which was essentially that the author had stood by and watched when Hitler came for the Jews, the Catholics, the handicapped, the Gypsies, the Communists etc, because he did not belong to those groups, but when Hitler came for him, there was no one left to stand... I know I said I was tired of fighting, but if I don't stand up for what is right, even if it is unpopular, however will I answer for myself on judgement day...?

"Fox in socks on Knox in box...." I can quite see why my mother wouldn't have his books in the house; I loved it.

Mary, thank you for always listening, thank you for making me laugh and thank you for the gift of some of your good sense...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home