"It's the Tropics, but we're civilised..." - Bill Streeter, man about Singapore.
I'm not even sure where to start really, should I begin with the fabulous shopping, the grandeur of Raffles Hotel, the weather, the merlion or the tropical flowers...? If I sat and thought about it for a millennium, I do not think I could do the week I have just had justice. I simply lack the vocabulary that would make me eloquent enough to fully describe how fantastic Singapore is. Not to mention the company, which was probably the best thing about the entire affair in any case. I had the misfortune to arrive at 1.30 AM, of course the bags took ages and poor Sunsook, had to nobly wait until I appeared about 20 minutes later, only to be rewarded with a bleary eyed growl and some muttering about being really tired in response to her generous enquiry about whether I wanted to try some local delicacy she had picked up... Her friend Mary had come along for the ride to keep Sunsook company and I'm sure there was a conversation in there somewhere but sadly, I could hardly understand anything she said to me... this is what happens to my brain at obscene hours of the morning when I have only had two hours sleep the night before. So, first impressions of Singapore? Despite being warned of the horrors of not being allowed entry into Singapore even if you do meet all their visa requirements etc, by the consulate, Singaporean immigration officials are LAX!! They didn't even ask me how long I was staying... Second, Singapore is unspeakably humid but not as hot as I had imagined. Third, there are lots and lots and lots and lots of palm trees - nice.
On that note, it is past 2 in the morning again and I am writing nonsense so I think I shall call it a day and be more forthcoming tomorrow!
On that note, it is past 2 in the morning again and I am writing nonsense so I think I shall call it a day and be more forthcoming tomorrow!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home