The Big Old Tokyo Hurrah

Life in the city from a small town perspective...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cardiff, United Kingdom

Bought a house in a village in South Wales, have a reasonably nice view of tree-covered mountains all around. Still haven't found a better job... maybe next year...

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Why did God create cicadas? (Answers on a postcard, please!)

I hate them. Absolutely cannot stand the creatures. My biggest objection to the darn things is the appalling noise they make when colliding with walls, lamp posts, light fittings, screen doors, random animals that they happen to feel like attacking and/or each other. It can only be described as "screeeeeeeeep" It is a vile, fingernails across glass crossed with an angry crow squawk. My second objection to them is the fact that they hide in darkened corners where you can`t see them - jumping at the slightest noise or movement, screeeeeeeping away and thus, frightening the living daylights out of me.

Then there is the fact that they fall haphazardly from the sky without warning, landing within centimetres of your feet or worse still, on your head. I HATE THEM. They are stupid creatures, too. Having no sense at all, they fly in the direction of any available light and get trapped, which means they fly into it again and again in their hopeless quest for freedom and screeeeeeeeeeep until they get fried or finally realize that freedom lies in the opposite direction to the light.

Classic Tokyo Hurrah Moment: a crow and a cicada having a fight in a tree, presumably it was some sort of territorial war and I have to tell you that the giant, evil mutant demon crow was NOT winning. The noise was horrendous. If I ever pluck up the courage to get close enough to video one, you will see just how possessed these things are! My thoughts on crows will be forthcoming.

An aside - the other day I went to the 7-11 to pay my internet bill and nearly died of fright when a huge pile of dead leaves started crawling towards my feet... It turned out be a large frog. Right there in the middle of the pavement... I`ve never seen the like, no water for miles, what was he doing there...?

Today`s photos: another of Japan`s giant bugs - this is a bee (not as some would have it, a mutant hummingbird!) Shoudoshima was chock full of beautiful flowers and insects to match.






I have never seen a dragonfly sit on a car aerial before! Also in Shoudoshima, an island that could also have been named paradise...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home