The Big Old Tokyo Hurrah

Life in the city from a small town perspective...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cardiff, United Kingdom

Bought a house in a village in South Wales, have a reasonably nice view of tree-covered mountains all around. Still haven't found a better job... maybe next year...

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I am furious

Honestly, completely, irrationally, absolutely furious.
Mostly with myself, for having made such stupid decisions as to still be working for NOVA and not having gone home already and got a proper job. And then there's the fact that I fail to see how I made it to 31 (and a fraction) without realising that it isn't just the likes of evilnestle and the epitome-of-corporate-evil-starbucks which are unethical and basically quite horrible. I do not know how this fact managed to pass me by, corporations are ghastly. I had some thoughts about coming home and opening my own little English school at one point, now I am thinking that is that last thing I will ever do if it turns me into a complete git.
Okay, here's the lowdown - NOVA sucks. Royally. The president is a mendacious, duplicitous, bastard quite frankly, added to which he has the business acumen (apparently) of a small insect. I know NOTHING about how to run a business but even I can see that if you open 6 schools within 5 square miles or so of each other, that none of them is going to do very well. One of his biggest problems at the moment is despite the larger percentage of his staff (actual figures varying according to which newspapers you read) being Western, rather than Japanese, he has failed to recognise that in the West there are only two kinds of truth. The Truth and The Untruth. Thus when he sends a fax saying payday has been rescheduled for the 19th rather than the 15th and then fails to make the necessary arrangements. He has imparted The Untruth. Consequently, an enormous percentage of teachers are refusing to go into work and several schools have now closed "temporarily" - soon there won't be any area 2 or 5 or 7 it will just be "area". On Saturday, (when payday was supposed to have been Friday) I am the lucky recipient of another fax. This one actually being more than 3 lines long which has to be a record from Sahashi, and full of wailing and gnashing of teeth about how he is grief stricken and disappointed with himself for having made such mistakes and how he is doing his very best to "protect" us and the students and exhorting us to please be patient because these things take time. Mr. Sahashi, you are an idiot. All you needed to do was send a timely fax saying payday will be on the 25th. If that was the truth or whatever IS the truth if it is not. We can handle the Truth. It's the hanging around, waiting, reading rumours in the newspapers and not knowing what the hell is going on that we cannot stand. That is why your teachers are refusing to be "patient" because we now know that your signature is not worth the paper it is written on. The time for poetry is way past. That might work on the Japanese staff but the only thing that will work with the Western staff is the Truth. NOW.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home